So I guess that I should start this blog off as an introduction of myself. To be honest with you, I'm not really expecting anyone to follow this blog. I'm mainly creating this to give myself something to do on the computer rather than checking the same 10 websites and blogs over and over again. Pretty often I find myself saying "Oh man, I wish I had a blog so I could write about (this, that or the other thing)." Again, not really expecting anyone to read this or care, the things that I have a desire to share are nothing important. They are just little things like "Yea! My tomato plants are getting huge!" and "Wow- look at my hydrangea bush, it's beautiful!" and "Can't wait to shoot the groundhog that's living under my shed." Told ya- nothing too exciting!
My boyfriend, Eric, and I have been together for over 2 years (that's obviously us in the picture up above). We live together in a cute, little house on a great piece of land. Our house is mostly surrounded by the woods and we have plenty of wildlife to show for it (I can see my treestand from my living room window!).
I have a fairly large vegetable garden consisting of tomatoes, green bell peppers, sweet potatoes, red beets, snow peas, shelling peas, green beans, onions, broccoli, asparagus, corn, watermelon, honeydew melons, lettuce and spinach. I also have a small herb garden that has oregano, parsley, chives, basil and rosemary along with a couple other things. My flower beds are full of Columbine, Coral Bells, Astilbe, Hostas, Clematis, Bee balm, Asters, Coneflowers, Coreopsis, Cat Mint (actually really pretty!), Sedum, Poppies... and the list could go on and on. I also have a couple potted flowers, but they really aren't my specialty. Just some Wave Petunias, Lobelia and Geraniums but still very colorful and beautiful. And I can't forget the new garden that Eric and I are working on- red raspberry bushes and blueberry bushes!
I also have two dogs, Taylor- a one year old black Labrador, and Duke- a five year old Shih-Tzu. Duke is pretty much a pain in the neck but lovable just the same. Taylor on the other hand, is an awesome dog and makes me realize that I will only ever own Labs from this point on. We are training her to be our duck hunting companion and she LOVES it. She cannot get enough of retrieving and goes crazy over ducks.
I'm convincing Eric that we now need chickens (we used to have 4 farm ducks) at our house and I think I'm doing a pretty good job. I'd love to have a coop with about 3 hens to lay eggs for us. I'm picky about the eggs I buy and I'm now learning that "Free-Range" doesn't really mean a darn so I'd like to have my own chickens instead. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have 3 Barred Rock hens running around!
Besides all my gardening, I also enjoy hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, running and pretty much anything else outdoors. I got my first deer and my first duck this past hunting season and cannot wait for hunting season to come around again (I know, I'm a redneck!).
Once I figure out how to add pictures without them all going to the top of the post, I'll have plenty to share.

Awww I am so happy to see you started a blog! Welcome my dear to the wonderful blogsphere. You will be hooked in no time! ;)
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read more and keep up with you though our blogs. THis is great!
Everything looks wonderful too. Let me know if you have any questions on getting things set up.
Take care sweetie, see you Saturday!! :)
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting Henbogle! It is great you are considering adding laying hens to the menagerie. We love ours and wouldn't be without them now.
I have not had barred rocks, but like you, have heard they are excellent hens for the small flock-owner. We have had Hubbard's Golden Comets and loved them, they are a sex-link chicken, meaning that due to feather color, they are immediately recognizeable as male of female at hatching. This year we are trying Ameracauna and Black Star sex-links. The Ameracaunas will lay colored eggs, and the Black Stars, like the Comets, are hardy, egg-laying hybrids that can take the cold weather here in Maine.
In the early years of my blog, I have lots of posts on the hens and the coop we constructed, etc., which you might find useful. I highly recommend our chicken manual, "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. It has been an eggselant resource (couldn't help myself!)
Good luck and enjoy your Maine vacation!