Lets just say that things are going so-so in the vegetable garden lately. I was sooo excited about all my beautiful tomato plants until they became anything but beautiful. Unfortunately my garden is essentially surrounded by walnut trees, which apparently tomato plants don't like so much. They all look wilted and poopy. Pretty much all of the leaves are turning yellow and have spots on them. I looked this up and all the symptoms look like Bacterial Speck (or something like that)... who would have thought. Oh well, I'm going to try to plant them in a different place next year until I just give up all hope.
On a brighter note, I got a quart of green beans out of the garden today. Hopefully they taste as good as the peas I got earlier. Can't wait until late summer when I can plant more beans and peas!
My bell peppers are also looking great. They are planted right next to the tomatoes so hopefully their problem won't rub off on the peppers.
And finally, I give you corn and sweet potatoes!
It started to get too dark out to take more pictures, so I'll have to post the watermelons and honeydews another time. The vines are growing more and more by the day and are getting covered in flowers... hopefully that equals lots of delicious fruit!
I couldn't help but to take some pictures of my flowers as well. The tickseed coreopsis looks so bright and cheery overflowing over my little rock border.
And of course, my favorite moose with a wave petunia (and lobelia and catmint to boot!).

Pretty garden... looks like you're going to have a lot of tomatoes! Walnut roots produce a chemical called juglone which kills/injures many things in the root area (even if the tree is cut down). I've got a degree in horticulture and my aunt-in-law has had this same problem. Hope you have a good harvest :-)
ReplyDeleteYour garden is growing great! Sorry to hear about your tomato plants but the fruit looks perfect. I like your flowers too- I dug a bunch up today that were dying in a yard of a house my mom has listed for sale so I divided them for the mortgage company. Nice of me huh?
ReplyDeleteAnd you say you don't like vegetables? Your garden looks beautiful! I can't wait to show you mine.
ReplyDeleteMy tomato plants are still green too, but I'm hoping to see some ripe ones any day now.
So excited to see you on Saturday night.
Have a great rest of the week!